Sunday 7 June 2015

Ieper again - St George's

A church, or not a church, it's a question I ask myself.

It has some of the 'stuff' you might expect - a font, and chairs and stained glass and kneelers, yet the one thing that marks a church in particular is curiously smothered.

There are lots of names mentioned, people and regiments and places remembered, but Jesus seems to be forgotten.






I am interested that the person in place here is a 'chaplain', rather than any other type of ministry.

I wonder at what this building says about the Christian faith, about forgiveness and reconciliation (I didn't read every word displayed, but I didn't see any remembering the Germans who fought just as bravely in the salient). 

I pray for the ministry exercised here - that it reflects the gospel in all it does.

http://www.stgeorgesmemorialchurchypres.com/home/4582256379

No comments:

Post a Comment